Sunday, November 02, 2008

Green

Like other themes, October's "what is important to you?" will continue to resonate like a vibration that remains after the ring of a bell. Before leaving it for November's theme, though, I'd like to meditate on it one more time on this blog.

The majority are too personal to blast on a blog entry, but I was thinking about some small joys that I have seen or heard about within the past week. They are nuanced and beautiful:




The Japanese maple in my parents' front yard.
The maples that are fully yellow and red
Seeing a mountain you will run up-- far in the distance


This wedding with these people and our friends

Conversations that last longer than anticipated

Gary Snyder's poetry

Chopping cilantro and watching salsa canning at the neighbors' house.

Running with no other plans today

And noticing people's embraces after not seeing each other for many months.

And here's a brief story:

Today I went to Jubilee and moved to the row behind so that a couple could sit together. My new seat was next to a quiet, pudgy 11 or 12 year boy who had a skateboard in front of him. He breathed loudly through his nose and glanced over at me a couple of times; I didn't look at him, though. At one point in the service, we all hold hands. I was surprised that his hand was warm and rough, and that he held mine firmly, but not too tight. He held his mother's hand on the other side. At the end of that portion, we all give a squeeze and let go. He put his head on his mother's shoulder and she stroked his hair.

I love that entire interaction.

No comments: