Sunday, December 07, 2008

Bragging Rights

Al helped me write this blog post back on November 17th and I haven't posted it yet. I could easily add in bragging rights for spending time in Mississippi and Asheville; however, this is a purely Hueco Tanks Bragging Rights List. Here goes:


Being Here



"Spelunking" to see cave art


(These scratchings below were done by "stagecoach taggers"… when the stagecoach came through here, we saw that someone named Mary got together with a certain James Jolley in 1887 in a tucked away hole... hmm, racy.)
Many laughs per hour.

Climbing steep stuff


Pulling off the coolest scab ever (we had a really gross description of it, which I'll share for those interested)… flaps on fingers… finding the silver lining in topical maladies. I don't have photos of this one...

Eating incredible Santa Barbara organics everyday. Avocados, Japanese tomatoes (gram for gram the best food ever), garlic everything else...

Surviving a Texas-sized wind storm in my tent

Dance parties with the best 2 year old dancer (and her mama, who is not only cool, but also a great dancer, too...)


Not clocking in.. tan maintenance

Games: Boggle (inventing new words such as vell and ditwit) and Rock Ranch Rummy


The best birthday party ever…(poor Tessa was upset with the piñata activity)



Fixing the piñata. The Rock Ranch manager told Tess, “It’s okay baby, tape is cheap”


AND THE BIGGEST BRAGGING RIGHTS EVER!!! I, Katherine Dunn, became the object of affection of a bonafide male porn star.
Yes, Al found out about this crush's career while looking for climbing videos on his computer. Our porn friend said, "You want to see some of my work?" And the thumbnails were enough.
We learned much about Ron Jeremy's depression; several erectile disfunction drugs ("Oh, that one will be full on and then nothing... it doesn't last"); and other ins and outs of the industry (pun intended).
This MPS knows some famous starlets, and gave us advice about writing and selling porn scripts for big money. I'll finally use my English degree!
He asked Al how to "score" me; I was glad when Al convinced him that it wouldn't be a good idea to visit my tent. We had several jokes about porn, especially when walking past large sausages in Target, but I have a real respect for this guy who is more than his big profession. On the night of the great birthday party, he poured out his story to us.
Hearing about his life gave me pause to even brag that he had a crush on me. I hope that I have respected him in this blog while still relishing in the novelty of this encounter.

This is me and the porn star. Just kidding. I didn't want to publish a photo of him (I think he's shy), so this is a photo of Al and me posing as porn stars.

Except that we have clothes on.

And that we look more like teenagers in an afterschool club trying to be tough. Or something completely different? I think that even Mary and James Jolley would laugh at this attempt to look sexy.

I'm glad to be home, but really think there was powerful energy in that pocket of desert.

3 comments:

Sally said...

wow! That cave art is so clear!!! The stuff we saw in Canada was much weathered. Love the photos and the update.

KD said...

Sally, I love that I can count on you for comments. Thanks for your letter today, too. It meant a lot to me. xxoo, kd

Sally said...

Sometimes, I envy you your life, but then I think about mine and I smile. I love both of our lives, and I feel like you're living the life I would have, had I not grown up the way I did. It's awesome and gratifying to read about your adventures.

Yeah, the original hanger-on. Can't stop commenting. Dorks rule!!!!