Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dentally Speaking

I went to the dentist yesterday and all was clean and good; the hygienist was impressed with my lack of plaque.

This dental hygienist (whom I have known for as long as I can remember) asked me about Outward Bound and Asheville and said that her son went on a NOLS course and now runs the climbing gym around here. I didn't even know about that gym since I'd only gone to a different one up here a few years ago.

She was chatty about him and then said I should go up there and ask for him. I said that depending on time I'd see if I could get up there. She wrote down his cell phone number in case I wanted to call, too. Nice lady, but could you really imagine me calling some random guy to say, "Yeah, your mom said I should call."

She took her x-rays and had me spit into the little sink after scrubbing on that gross toothpaste stuff on my teeth. I rested in the chair and looked at the drawings that kids and their parents made... I guess they are supposed to comfort patients whilst they chill out in the little room with fake wood paneling and an accordion door.

In addition to a rendition of "Dancing with the Stars" some lovely fall scenes and this scary guy with big muscles, there was one tucked in the corner. Next to a picture of a smile, it boldly exclaimed, "EVERYONE HATES THE DENTIST." I laughed and had to take out the spit sucker because it was just too much.

When the dentist arrived, I waited for his classic line (and almost the reason I keep going back to him), "How are you doing?.... Dentally speaking." He is not joking.

Finally, after my goody bag of toothpaste, toothbrush, and floss, I went to the receptionist's desk and presented her with my mom's check. The receptionist asked if I wanted another appointment for next year.

I said I didn't have my calendar with me.

She said, "Well have your mom call..." She knows my personal assistant will take care of me. Moms take care of their little 28 year olds.

1 comment:

Andy said...

I'm so proud of you!! Professionally speaking. Especially since you're practically Appalachian.