Last year, a friend would always get off the phone quickly by saying in one breath, "okaybye" almost before the other person would be ready to go. I started doing this, Roomie started doing this, and it caught on. Soon everyone was off the phone with a flash.
I was thinking about this today when saying goodbye to Greg on the phone. We have a weird pause sometimes between one person saying, "Okay, talk to you later" and the other saying, "Bye." Maybe I should bring, "Okaybye" to that equation.
...
Pete influenced us in writing "k bai" on googlechat instead of "okay bye."
Tonight I was trying to write "bai," to Alyssa, but instead I somehow wrote, nao. Alyssa responded bai nao, which made me think about how in Thai a word can be a completely different word depending on the intonation. I think I thought about that because it looks like it would be in Thai, "bai nao."
But then if you have a southern accent, it would also fit, "Bai Naaow." Intonation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i usually say kthxbai.
but only when typing.
how the hell would you pronounce thx?
I think it would sort of be like a staccato version of thanks...
It is sort of like how I pronounce my name; people who don't know me sometimes think my name is Kitty because of my high pitched chirp. I envision thnx being the complete opposite of how midwesterners would say it. Okey Thaaaaaaankz.
Post a Comment