Monday, March 16, 2009

Hard Rain is Gonna Fall

***Note about this post: I've included links in this post. For some reason the links are set to open in the same window, which could make for a disjointed reading experience. I suggest you either read all the way through and then go back to see illustrations or right-click on the links and opt to "open in new tab" (as I've suggested with the first Andrew Bird song) to keep the old Optimist front and center. Also, there are three youtube songs linked on here; you might want to play one at a time. Sun in the photos misrepresents today. I'm not trying to micromanage your reading experience. I just aim to take care of you as best as I can. Thanks for reading.***

In between a meeting in the RiverArts district, working on a newsletter, talking with my sister, and working on a taasc business plan, I went for a run.

At first, only little drops of water dashed my brow and I set off with what I thought was a Fresh Air podcast on my little shuffle. Midway to the Grove Park Inn, I realized that Andrew Bird was the only sound in my ears.


(Right-Click here to open this in a new window and listen. Disregard the youtube video that goes along with music and continue reading as you listen...)

As I ran higher into the fog, Andrew Bird's whistling, birds, and sometimes melancholy melodies refreshed and deepened the solemness of a gray March afternoon. As the orchestra of little birds began this one, the rain started pounding harder.

I had the urge to scream in the middle of the street, but instead I ran faster down flow of water back to my house and stretched my arms parallel to the pavement. I smiled at drivers on Kimberly while imagining that they were on the way home to watch Amelie and eat popcorn on a dreary day.


I breathed deeply and felt like I wanted to smell the fresh rain and cry and all in the same inhale-exhale.



I was drenched and warm I took this photo. It is a warrior's growl for the day.

Once again days will be as bright as the Asheville websites advertise.

Here's a little song to end a March 16th post.

1 comment:

Tiny Tin Bird said...

You look real fierce in that photo, Kates.