We have also had a tragedy at Outward Bound this week when an instructor who was leading a semester crew in Patagonia fell into a crevasse and died. He was 24 years old. In this article, his former teacher describes him as, "'Just a great kid. One who just loved the out-of-doors and every outdoor adventure.'” I didn't know him, but he could have been any one of my friends at Outward Bound.
The office is in a quiet state of shock and action. Although it was a mountaineering accident (which has inherent risk involved), the instructors were doing everything right... the school has never had a fatality... we manage risk all the time... it shouldn't have happened.
To quote The New Englander:
I just want to mention it here in this space as a reminder of how fleeting human life is. In this case, someone who wasn't doing anything inherently dangerous (riding to the airport), serving in a war zone, or in anything other than perfect health was killed suddenly and without any warning. Something similar could happen to virtually anyone at virtually any moment.
So, cliched though it might be, it still bears repeating -- take advantage of every day that you're given.
The other day I was running with Andy and got annoyed when I thought he was making fun of my running pace. I let my ego rouse little irritations when in the larger scope of things, it doesn't matter. It was a beautiful run. I was breathing hard. It was warmer than today. I didn't have to be insulted.
So here's the big picture to me, New Englander:
When considering the larger scope of things, I remember to look at Saturn below the moon.
I love the chickadees as much as some love the nuthatches. I giggle when I hear Sean exclaim, "Holy Crap-aroni! It's Katie Dunn!"
I am thankful for a weekend camping in the rain with taasc kids. I am thankful for those who have made an impact on my life. I allow myself to be vulnerable and truthful even if it hurts.
I choose to worry less about my abs or my bank account and more about how I'm living each day. I can watch The Office late on a school night if I want. I enjoy long runs, warm winter food and wine, and letting my mind rest in mediation.
The year to live becomes real.

No comments:
Post a Comment