Sunday, September 12, 2010

Changing seasons

Amelie (Source on link)

My friends and I huddled under blankets during a free nighttime Amelie screening in Washington Square Park before walking home from North Beach to Nob Hill along this route. The wind whipped my face and hair as we walked up the stairs on Jones Street back to my apartment.Jones Street (Source on link)

SeMe had considered skipping the movie to continue her finance and other Presidio-related work. I argued that this was one of the last hoorays of the summer, that we need to celebrate the seasons. She rightly pointed out that even though mid-September brings a leaf-crackling autumnal gate everywhere else, and that we are ending our "summer" of relaxation to the demands of school, September and October are the hottest months in San Francisco. They are much hotter than the 50s and 60s of June and July.

I felt a void of the should-be-approaching hot apple cider, red maples, and pumpkins that I know from New Jersey and the mountains of North Carolina. I can appreciate the fog under the Golden Gate and the warm sun and crisp days throughout most of the year. However, while walking up Jones that night, I pretended that it was almost time to rake leaves and build fires in a wood burning stove.

No comments: