Monday, June 30, 2008

Reunion '98

Tinytin's recent post about her 10th high school reunion resonates with me right now; I just received an Evite for my 10th year reunion, which is happening over Thanksgiving. Fancy that!

In addition to telling J that high school isn't the be all end all in life, we had another discussion on that TAASC trip about high school. Friends of mine who are married started TAASC in 2006 and both of them were on the paddling part of the TAASC trip with me. Husband is from South Africa and thinks that folks from the US are a bit ridiculous with all of the graduations and proms and whatnot. Wife is from Michigan, blonde, beautiful, funny, and was a gymnast growing up.

We were talking about high school on that course and Michigan said casually, "I was the Prom Queen, " and motioned while saying, "Elbow, elbow. Wrist, wrist. Touch the pearls. Blow a kiss."

The story went on. "So of all the possible boys who were on the court, who ended up being Prom King?"

Pause.

"My twin brother!"

She went on, "And not only that, but we had to have the first slow dance together. Take My Breath Away will always make me shiver a little bit. As we were dancing, everyone started chanting, 'Kiss kiss kiss kiss!' I was mortified."
............
My friend from high school lives in my same town now; we spoke about the reunion yesterday while going for a walk. He's going to be in NJ for Thanksgiving and several of our friends are going. Some of my friends are actually organizing it, which is weird because I can't bash the idea as I normally would; one actually quipped, "When I ran for Class Historian at the age of 17, I didn't think that I'd be locked into organizing these things!" I didn't hate high school, but I don't really want to go to the reunion. We walked and went back and forth:
Pros:
See what people look like
See who has spouses or babies
Gossip
Cons:
Ego enhancer (obviously, because my life is so much more exciting than most of their lives)
Cost (obviously, because with that interesting life comes a salary equivalent to my classmates' end-of-year bonuses)
Gossip (I don't want to waste energy on it)
.......................................
I finally told my friend, "I think that I'll just stay in our little city for Thanksgiving. I'll go to the 20th when we're all 38 years old."
He said, "I bet that we'll be walking down the street and having this same conversation in another 10 years."
............................................
Maybe. Or maybe we'll be gossiping with the others. Or maybe we'll be targets for gossip. Let's hope that we have wonderful and juicy things happen between now and then!

1 comment:

Sally said...

KD, thanks for the welcome back...also, I went to my 10 year reunion. I won't go to any others. It was awkward, surreal, enlightening, horrifying, and all the other strange, yet wonderful adjectives I can think of. I was glad to go, but that one was enough for me. Maybe I'll go to the 30th. I don't know. I have too many questions and I don't think that I'll find the answers there. I also have too much regained silliness and disregard for the social mores and truths that all hold dear to attend such events. I end up insulting too many people, completely unintentionally. Don't change. Please. I need you to be tongue-in-cheek and irreverent!!!!