Sunday, October 05, 2008

Obama.



Along with everyone else in Asheville (even the guy who had a "demo-crack" sign and the other one with the anti-abortion sign), I saw Barack Obama speak at Asheville High School today.

He spoke mostly about the economy and health care, but added a line about how it's so wonderful in Asheville. (He's staying a mile or so from my house.) Before the speech, there was a bunch of U2 music playing and I noticed that the sign language interpreter was signing to the crowd in front of her. I wonder if she had to sign all of the lyrics... When Obama said, "Hello Asheville!" this guy next to me yelled, "Hey Obama, what's up?!" A little girl said she wanted to see "Uncle Obama." Very cute.
During his speech, Obama joked that he wouldn't "okie dokie" or "you betcha" us. And that McCain wants to "turn the page on the economy" to spend the next 30 days attacking his opponent.

About that, he said something similar to what we told our munchkins a few weeks ago: that people must be pretty insecure about their own qualities if they work to only bash others. (He was talking about not having strong policies whilst we were talking about having confidence in things like soccer or spelling or having friends...). Debating qualities of proposals is different than calling names and stealing lunch money.

It was quite a scene-- we were going to go inside the stadium, but the line seemed to be a mile long so we found a spot in the shade where we had a great view of the stage and the secret service with big guns. Estaba quite a different day than paddling down the mighty Tuckaseegee River yesterday. Greg bought a pin that said, "Barack to the Future" with the Back to the Future design on it. I wish it had shown an illustration of Obama on one of those hoverboards.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I gotta tell you, he is cool to me. I was torn between him and Hillary, but Jody and I helped him get where he is. We voted for him in the IL senate primaries and it was frigging exciting.