Friday, January 09, 2009

And She's Sitting Right Here

I went out to lunch yesterday with our "Development Department" from Outward Bound. This department has dwindled from 4 full time people and me working 20 hours a week to 2 full time people and me working 10 hours a week. It was a post-Christmas treat from our director.

While at lunch, we were talking about the economy and slim times at the school. We were not talking about me possibly leaving, but the other development person (we'll call her Kelly) began saying to the director, "Well, I know a fabulous fabulous grant writer who would be great for our school. Work ethic-- uh, out of this world! She's the type of person who lights up a whole room when she enters! She doesn't come cheap though, $80-$175 an hour..."

At first I thought, "Well shit. I'm sitting right here and your giving advice about giving my job away?" And then I figured that for $80-$175 an hour they could have many Katie Dunns there. Bing Dunn.

So if I want to keep this job, here are my points:

  1. Shit, I can light up a room. Just give me some whiskey.
  2. I know not to end a sentence with a preposition.
  3. And, the bottom line: Times are slim and I am cheaper than that lady.

2 comments:

Tiny Tin Bird said...

You light up a room without whiskey as well.

KD said...

Thanks, poots.