Friday, January 09, 2009

Dancing in the Streets




We were leaving an adult daycare home after a few hours of yardwork, reading, and hanging out with the elderly participants. They were having lunch, so we simply stopped in to say goodbye. As we shook hands around the room, several said, "What?! No singing for us? Sing us something." C'mon folks, not only do you get to see these cherubs for hours, but now you also want some sort of dinner theater?


So, I turned into my mom for a minute and said, "Sure! We can do it, right guys?!" If they were teenagers, they'd look at me in the same way that I used to look at my mom when she'd sign me up for something that I did not agree to do-- like, "You have GOT to be kidding." But they are 9 and 10 year olds who starting singing, "Dashing through the snow..." Soon we had a taasc dad on a lovely piano accompaniment and the party was on. One song (with different interpretations of lyrics) and we were out of there. Spontaneous celebration.
This week has been full of spontaneous celebrations. In addition to having some kitchen slow dances, I was delighted to be part of a dance party at Doc's house after dinner the other night. He said, "Don't you love this song?" and began to Ska-dance around the living room. I added some moves that only Tessa and random climbers have seen, and joy filled the room. Why not dance party of two?
It seems like a year to not wait for weddings or bar mitzvah's to boogie down.

No comments: