Monday, March 24, 2008

Essential

I stopped by a health food store to buy some milk on my way home last night. (I went there because it was on my way home instead of driving farther to the regular supermarket... I'm not a milk snob or anything like that. I mean, I buy the organic milk, but they sell it in the regular supermarket, too... it's only 50 cents more.)

Anyhow, on the way to the check-out counter, I stopped to look at the essential oils. I couldn't believe how expensive some were (notably, Frankincense and Myrrh; those wise men weren't cheap). Ignoring the price tags, I was drawn to the descriptions such as uplifting, clarifying, balancing, or inspiring. I smelled many of them.

Regular scents like lemon, lavender, peppermint, sage, and eucalyptus had new meanings with those descriptions. I tried to see if all of my worries, plans, and goals would be laid in their proper places with the influence of these scents. I began to think, "Hey, $24.99 isn't really that much for clarity..." But then I realized that my olfactory system was overloaded; my brain was thinking that these oils really were as essential as the names of concepts that were written on the little glass bottles.

Perhaps I'll buy a healing tincture another day.

At that point, though, I knew that I needed to take my hippie milk and go home.

4 comments:

The Roomdog said...

There was a young lady from Kirkie,
Who's driving was a little bit quirky,
She ran over the cone and was promptly sent home,
She'll try it next week at 1.30.

Tiny Tin Bird said...

You might consider Lord Calvert for some clarity. I think you get more bang for your buck. And it's also a good sleep aid.

liz kisacky severn said...

A little peppermint schnapps behind the ears could also do in a pinch....

KD said...

Like mother, like daughter.