Tuesday, March 11, 2008

New Jersey Cowgirl

My nickname at Outward Bound is Cowgirl. There's not really a great story behind it; I was basically wearing a cowboy hat during new staff training and said that with my students I wanted to be like an observant cowgirl... sitting by the fire and listening. I don't know if I've been successful at that demeanor with my students, but I like the idea and sometimes go the entire course as "Cowgirl."

Someone suggested this elaborate story about escaping from Texas and hitching a ride in a pickup truck, but I'm from New Jersey and like lattes.

Anyhow, when I got home last night I was famished. While I waited for my lentil soup to heat on the stove, I rummaged through the refrigerator and found some leeks, beer, cheese, carrots, and condiments. I decided on carrots and looked at my salad dressing selection.

I had to laugh when, among the hippie/yuppie sea vegetable and balsamic vinagers, I found a family-size container of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. I thought, "You know you're in the South when..." I have no idea how it got there because Roomie, Tucker and I definitely didn't buy it. (Even though I am being snobby about it now, I have to admit that I saddled that carrot up with some ranch and it was quite tasty. Remember, though, I was famished.)

Lyssie pointed out that there are endless possibilities to link the Ranch into my schtick. As in, "Wow, Cowgirl, what a Ranch you have!"

"I don't know how it was passed to me, but for now, I'm the prioprietor of this ranch..."

1 comment:

Tiny Tin Bird said...

At your next party you can set out a plate with carrots, celery and other veggies and a big bowl of ranch. Wearing your cowboy hat, stand next to the bowl of dressing and say to the crowded room, "Y'all are invited over to my ranch."