It was warm and clear yesterday. As a reward for working all morning, I decided I could go for a long run before I had TAASC in the afternoon. I hurried home, ate some carrots and toast, and saw Neighbor in the driveway.
We were talking when we saw Elderly Neighbor on the other side walking down the street with a home health aide. I introduced myself to Elderly Neighbor, and Neighbor and I heard about how she needs someone to walk with her because she has been falling lately. We also heard about how she only likes to eat honeybuns. Elderly Neighbor asked me to come up to her house and meet her husband who is ill. I didn't stay long, but managed to meet her cat (who has 6 toes like a Hemingway cat), dog (a little black yappy dog named Tammy), and husband (who didn't talk much to us as he watched baseball on tv). Elderly Neighbor told me about all of her dogs in the past and how she, her husband, and little Tammy all enjoy chewing tobacco. I don't know if the dog gets into their stash (as it wanted to get into the circus peanuts candy) or what...
I excused myself and decided that I'd still go for a run, even though it would be shorter. As I listened to This American Life on my headphones and made my way to a neighborhood I love, I noticed a newish Suburban slowly passing me. The driver, a 40-50 year old thin white guy with glasses and spiky hair, leaned out his open window and stared at me. I made eye contact, shot a nasty look, and ignored him as I continued to run. Creep, I thought. I was running down one road that had a greenway in between another road. At the end, there's an option to go up into a more secluded neighborhood. Because of the time and my quick interaction with that driver, I decided to make a U-turn and run the road on the other side of the greenway (back to a busier area). As I turned that corner, I saw that the guy had looped around the greenway and the Suburban was coming towards me from the other direction. I considered it strange, but thought he was looking for a house or something.
I kept running and turned onto the busier street past a park (where there were many people) and noticed that the Suburban was again behind me. Even though there were people all around, I felt my adreneline rising. I memorized his license plate (but stupidly didn't write it down!). I kept running and tried to ignore him.
Next traffic light: Suburban right next to me. Several turns later: Suburban at the stop sign just sitting there. I ran towards another park, which had a parking lot, and the Suburban passed me and pulled into a spot facing the road I was on. I thought about asking some men who were moving furniture across from the park for help, but decided to keep going. I wanted to get home, but I didn't want this man to see where I lived.
I was fully freaked out by this point. I knew that Neighbor was home.
As the creepy guy was stuck at a traffic light, I bolted across the street and sprinted home. I got to Neighbor's house and hid behind a tree to get my key out. Neighbor came out laughing, and asked, "What are you doing?" I asked if I could come in.
I was frazzled and angry that I had to shorten my run because of this harassment. I explained what happened and drank some water. As Neighbor asked what the car looked like, I saw the Suburban drive down our street.
Before I went home, Neighbor and I spoke with the woman who lives across the street. I felt on edge each time a car passed and she suggested that if necessary, I should run near her gate so her big dogs would bark (adding, "Don't get too close yourself, though, because they'll bite you.").
We compared stories from other points in our lives when sketchy men have threatened us. I am pissed that I don't feel comfortable doing normal things like camping by myself or running on certain trails alone or at a certain time of day. A good friend suggested always bringing my cellphone, especially if I'm not with a friend or Tucker. He said I should just wave it in the air and say, "I'll call 911, you scumbag."
Other friends, males in particular, have said that in some situations (like the one in which a gas station attendent leaned in and tried to kiss my cheek after pumping gas... what?! who does that?), I need to say forcefully, "You are in my personal space and I need to ask you to step back!" I suppose.
I suppose that making a scene is okay, but in a way, I don't want to instigate creepy people. In that gas station situation, I was so shocked that I just pushed him away and left. In the recent Suburban situation, I don't know if I should have gone to those moving men, if I should have screamed, "LEAVE ME ALONE!" or should have just run to Neighbor.
I don't like to be angry and anxious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I can teach you the Glasgow kiss, (Headbut that will surley break noses)and many other Scottish defences.
I'm all about making a scene. What's up with these older white dudes? (Sorry if I'm insulting anyone.)
Thanks for the affirmation, ladies. Ms. Glasgow, I actually remember a story you told me about a nightclub and your sister (was the guy touching her ass?)... you are a linebacker inside of a petite dancer. Are you in the US now?
When it's safe to do so, make a scene. Ass men believe that young women are generally too polite to do so. Wish you had had some mace to spray in the gas station guy's face?
Yes, I actually found out that they don't sell mace here, but I have a connection from Alabama who is going to hook me up. It sucks.
Yes he was touching her up and she was drunk and I did warn him before giving him the black eye. Best part was when he got kicked out of the club! I try not to hit these days but reserve the right to. I am back in the US, just a short trip hom to pick up some staff and eat some haggis.
There's a concept among many native peoples about having an evil spirit enter a person's life. It travels from generation to generation in the family and doesn't leave unless banished by ceremony and heroic efforts on the parts of others aided by good spirits (usually shamans and such).
I have been thinking lately that one thing that seems to keep happening, more and more so, is that as we all move farther away from nature and family connection, from clan and village to independent and mobile and urban, that we keep opening ourselves up to the curse of evil spirits entering our families.
We're an entire culture, a society that keep straying farther away from nature and farther away from the old ways, the ways that evolved for so long, that knew how to combat the spirits that get into people and push them into behaviors that are simply not cool.
This is the kind of thing that a random dude would never be able to get away with living in a village where most everyone recognized him. Anonymity protects him, as does our loss of an old knowledge about how to deal with the wierdness that's captured him.
Sorry to hear you had to endure, Katie. But I'm not too worried about you-- you'd probably kick his ass anyway.
Post a Comment