Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Stream of Consciousness List

I'm hurrying out to run in the sunshine before my TAASC meeting, but here are a list of (possibly) related notes for today, March 20th.

  • It's the first day of Spring... the Vernal Equinox. I like the way that it sounds and the way that the sun feels today. What a difference from the deluge of yesterday.
  • For this, Lyssie is doing (did?) 108 sun salutations. I might follow her suit to go along with the focus for this month. This blog has a great description of paying attention at the change of the seasons. (It also shows her focus on things other than meditation... what a cool complimentary commentary. Good job, Lyss.)
  • It is also Maundy Thursday, or the night of the last supper, Judas's betrayal, and the Garden of Gesthemame before the big happenings on Good Friday. I like the idea that Jesus meditated in the garden before Friday... When I was younger, I was perplexed at the name, "Good Friday" going along with the day of crucifixion. I always thought it should be "Bad Friday." I'd say with a little Jersey accent, "Hey, thorns in the head and nails in the hands are good?"
  • Also, I never wanted to recite the 23rd Psalm, "The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want..." because I thought it was sacreligious. (My logic was that it'd be blasphomy to say that you "shall not want" God....). Wikipedia has much on the subject of this psalm, including, "The King James version of the psalm is used as the lyrics of Megadeth's "Shadow of Deth" from their album The System Has Failed."
  • Brain would be glad to hear of this connection between the King James version and Megadeth, I think. In college, he saw a sign on the side of the road that said, "Read the King James version or DIE."
  • One of my littlest TAASC kids is going to Florida for Spring Break to "live it up on the beach!"
  • This was on the Writer's Almanac today: "Emily Dickinson said, 'A little Madness in the Spring / Is wholesome even for the King.'" I don't think she was talking about basketball.

Okay, I'm off to enjoy the day. Hope your daffodils and hyacinths are getting ready for Easter.

No comments: