I've been reading about the achievement gap and hate crime statistics today for NCOBS Unity grant writing. These documents are fascinating and horrible (not horribly written, but have horrible facts).
Before doing this work, I rode my bike to the grocery store, cleaned the house, did laundry, packed for my TAASC trip, made brownies and banana bread... you could call it procrastinating, but I call it useful. When I actually did start this work, I worked for a long stretch without checking my email or (ahem) writing this blog. This is actually my reward for working for a few hours.
I never had this issue in college and don't have this issue while doing my TAASC work or economics homework. I think the TAASC focus is due to my "assignments" being pretty spread out and mildly entertaining. College focus (both back in the day and this econ class now)-- who knows. I think that part of it was learning the ideas and enjoying the banter in class. I think that part of it was getting good grades and knowing the material.
Now, we have Development meetings and I have grants and case statements that I need to write, but I don't really get a grade. I guess I'll have a performance review, but it's not really the same as turning in a grant and having a big star with "EXCELLENT. 100%" written on the top. I guess that if we get grant money that it'd be like a gold star...
Maybe I'll write a note to the Development Director and say, "Dear Ms. Director, If you could give me a numeric grade for each grant I do and give me an assignment sheet-- you can call it syllabus-- my productivity will go up tenfold. I can find you a statistic about that, if you'd like. Could I get extra credit for it?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment