Monday, February 18, 2008

like Tucker with a rock or squeaky toy

This is quick and random.

As I am doing work (really! I even have the little "do not disturb" logo up on my gmail), I am playing with the idea of "sensible self-denial." I research 19 grants or I write one section and then I allow myself an email check or a blog post. That way I'm not completely distracted.

However, I find that when a friend writes me back consistently and often on email, I itch to check it. Or if I see that someone has made a comment on my blog, I have to restrain my little finger from clicking over to check it out. I'm like a kid who sees a brand new mountain bike and trail outside of her classroom and can't wait until that bell rings.

Right now, I'm trying to grovel a little bit to a friend who doesn't want to be my friend. He hasn't answered any of my calls. I finally sent him an email this morning, and he actually wrote back! I was so excited that I wrote right back. And now, I've been checking on every study break possible. Refreshing the email window and hoping that he wrote me something else. It's like passing notes in class and waiting to see what the person circled from options of "yes" "no" or "maybe."

Okay. Study break time up. Back to work. Right after I check the email one more time.

No comments: