Tonight there is a total eclipse of the moon at around 10:20pm (Eastern Standard Time). Check out this diagram on the NASA website to see the timeline. As I'm excited about this, I'm trying to think of the best place to see it... I read somewhere that it might be turn bright or blood orange and even turquoise. I love moments like these that have the potential to make me feel small and connected like sitting on my backpack during lightning storms.
As I was thinking about writing this post last night, I started singing the words from, "Total Eclipse of the Heart." I wish I knew all of the lyrics, but it sounded like, "Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit lonely and dah dahdadada dadadada dah dah... turn around and I get a little tired of listening to the sound of my tears... TURN AROUND bright eyes... and I need you tonight and I need you more than EVER and if you only hold me tight... I'll be holdin' on FOREVER..."
After I got out of the shower, I asked Roomie, "Do you know what that song means?"
She said, "No, but you've been singing it for the last hour."
I laughed, and she added that it's probably about someone who is so in love that her heart is totally eclipsed by love. I thought it was about someone with unrequited love who is pining. I called tinytinbird and she agreed with Roomie.
I asked her if it would make sense to link "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with the unrequited friendship that I have with my friend who is angry with me. She said, "No."
I started remembering the connection between Brain and this song. When we were in college, we used to perform at open mike night in the dining hall during dinner. Most of the time, we told innocent jokes and used Nate as the protagonist. We'd read these jokes in the Country magazines that Brain's grandma would send to him and then repeat them during dinner. Nate would leave as soon as we walked on stage. (I'll have to post some of these jokes later. They are really wholesome!)
Sometimes, we'd sing songs like Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere" with an interpretive dance. I still remember the moves to "Can you hear me callin'? Out your name... you know I'm falling and I don't know what to say..." It was a hoot. We brought the house down.
I don't remember if "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was one of those songs, or if I just remember Brain knowing all of the lyrics from another situation. It impressed me, though.
What impressed me even further was seeing that Brain's sisters still have the same love for this song. In December, I witnessed the passionate interpretation (again, knowing all of the lyrics) of Bonnie Tyler's hit song.
Tinytin suggested that I might do a compare/contrast essay about my easy and fun relationship with Brain verses this more difficult and complicated relationship with this other friend. Without getting too analytical (I do have to do some work today...), I guess I just have these two hypothetical images in my mind:
Both involve watching the eclipse. One is with my new friend, the other is with Brain.
In the first situation, I can picture myself timing a serenade of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" to match the total eclipse of the moon. I can picture this friend being angry at me and telling me that I'm insensitively teasing him. I'd apologize and miss the moon for being eclipsed by reasons and explanations...
In the second situation, I picture Brain creating choreography with his lovely bride to this song. He would have her walking in front of him as the eclipse would be beginning. He'd start softly, "turn around," she'd have some dramatic moves, and he'd go on with the song as the eclipse continued. It would crescendo to the big moment when the eclipse would be completely happening and he would be singing, "I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT! Forever's gonna start tonight. Forever's gonna start tonight."
Let me live like this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I don't know if you remember my propensity for getting songs stuck in my head ("Baby shark, doot doo, doot doot do do..."), but I'd like to thank you for replacing Lost in Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson. (I think she's going by Debra these days.) "I get lost...in your eyes...isn't this a great surprise?"
I love it. It's just what I wanted to hear tonight.
Post a Comment