Saturday, September 27, 2008

Jersey.

After my cousin's wedding, I wanted to go to Storm King or Dia Beacon and walk around, but my Sass and her fella didn't.

So I walked around my neighborhood. It was a crisp Saturday in New Jersey (my dad even put a fire on in the woodburning stove that night...) and I spent the day walking around the blocks... it gave me the great reminder that art is everywhere, even at Memorial Field where the peewee football team was getting blasted by its angry little coach... but that's another story.

The park down the street was hosting a "Day in the Park" party complete with balloons, hotdogs, kids swinging and sliding, and parents talking about whatever parents talk about.

It might have been the last park event of the season; during the summer there are weekly concerts at the bandshell there. Local bands usually play each week-- oldies, celtic, rock, whatever-- my folks said that Pete Seeger even played there this summer. I have vivid memories of going to those summer concerts with my family when I was little; we brought lawn chairs and we kids danced like hippies.

As I was walking back to my house, I heard some Bruce Springsteen (no joke, I know that seems too cliche to be real, but it honestly happened). At first I thought it was just someone playing it on the radio, but it seemed to echo.

Was this just the heartbeat of New Jersey coming out on this beautiful afternoon?! Nah, I think it was a cover band. I took out my camera to try to record it as I walked down the street. Unfortunately, the sound isn't as good as when I was walking (and you might suffer from vertigo watching it), but I'm glad I have proof. Lowng live da Jerse.




3 comments:

Andy said...

and I thought Storm King was some regional fastfood. Like you had a hankering for one of those White Castle burgers.
Bruuuce!

KD said...

I've never had those little hamburgers, but they seem like they'd be good. I heart the Boss...

Unknown said...

I met some people a couple of weeks ago who laughed when I told them I lived in Jersey, why do people always do that? I heart Jersey!

Whitecastle tastes like microwaved death by the way.