A close friend remarked that while he is learning from amazing people at work, all he does is work. No more climbing, no more cycling, no more playing music... no more feeding his soul.
As I've returned to a busy schedule, it's been interesting to try to balance work (two jobs which feed my soul in a different way and which can be all encompassing) with running, climbing, creating "beautiful things," spending time with friends, meditating, eating well, studying, sleeping and taking care of myself, and learning completely new skills.
I wonder how I can be more efficient. I wonder how to fill all of these things into the hours that I have. As I've been looking into careers and other people's lives, I realize that I would like to balance my work with other aspects of my life. My workaholic tendencies are in tension with the person that I've become throughout the last 6 or 7 years. Although I sometimes wish for that workaholic to return-- I'd be so productive!-- this tension with the other things that "feed my soul" keeps me bouncing.
So where is that balance? What are the choices that we make everyday that make our lives? What feeds the soul, really?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well all deeply need you to live a life of balance. Personally, my idea of balance is reading your blog every few weeks, looking at the great pictures, and living vicariously.
Oh, and sometimes I check the weather too. Rain/sun balance is important.
Taoism. Yin Yang. Toots and Sally. Well, okay, we like to believe we are the yin yang symbol, and our lives do seem to hang in the opposite balance of the other, yet, we're not quite REALLY there.
Don't know really, I only know that when I can balance living in a male world with enough BITCHES, and too much stagnation with big trips and big movement, everything seems to make sense. I'd like to see how I feel about this in a month or two.
Speaking of which...if you can come play in the snow, you should. It smells phenomenal.
Post a Comment