Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bending Sheep and Bloody Cheeks.

We did some search and rescue practice (including fake blood and skin and bruises) on the last
TAASC trip. As a mountain biker went by, one girl said calmly, "I have a broken leg!" He looked at the field of bloody kids and a few adults standing around. I was drinking tea, and he kept riding. Here's a glimpse of some blood and a girl practicing a head to toe body exam. I couldn't find good photos of fake bruises.
One story involved some kind of gnome attacking while another one had a squirrel as the perp. We had lots of "accidents" and I pretended to be a dumb valley girl when the non-patients came down the trail. I'd say things like, "Uh, if you know anything about how to treat injuries... like, you might wanna check down there. I dunno. They look bad. Real bad."

After the search and rescue practice, all of the boys decided to get into a couple of different groups and battle. They were fighting over a hill (with sword fighting sticks... we stopped that over and over) and this golden skull (some had seen the new Indiana movie). One group named itself "sheep benders" and the other "duck benders." I don't know how that all came to be, but it was like Lord of the Flies. Here's a shot of them pulling out the Golden Skull (or a decoy! you never know!) from the creek.

1 comment:

Sally said...

nothing to do with this post, but...thanks for the Toots'n'Sally post. I'm so excited about going to Russia I can't stand it, but at the same time, I'm so worried about She Runs falling apart for the race that I also can't stand it. I've done everything and I need rest, but I don't know that anyone else is qualified. I DO, however, know that YOU are qualified, and I love what you do. You make me be better, because I know the kids that we both work with need us to be the best at what we do. Today we did a chalk outline thingy, with good words, positivity, etc., and one of the girls wrote about me "the best at coaching." How can anyone ever top that?!?!?~