Yesterday I went to Greenlife to get some groceries and a chicken and avocado sandwich. It's quite a big sandwich, and I can usually make it last for several meals (if I'm particularly low on cash and not exercising too much...).
Anyhow, when I went up to the counter to order it, the guy behind it said, "Nope. Don't feel like making it."
And I, not knowing if he was flirting or making fun of me, replied, "Oh, well do you want to put something else on it to spruce it up?"
He said, "Yes. Bacon?"
After I said, "That sounds like a good one," the woman who was working with him-- who might have known if this guy was just being mean to me-- seemed to cut through the bull with, "It'll be about 10 minutes."
I said okay and went on to look for milk and bananas. I came back a little bit later, and the guy told me that it wasn't ready yet. I joked, "Oh, that bacon takes a while to cook, eh?" He laughed and I said I was going to look at the books.
When I returned, it was ready and he had a line of people waiting; so I thanked him and went to the cash register near his counter. He asked, "Did you find any books?" I told him no, but a postcard (budget, you know... it's a nice postcard, though).
I paid, said goodbye, and drove to Beth and Greg's house. When I opened the wrapping on the sandwich (so I could cut it into fourths and make it last!), it looked delicious.
I cut into it and what did I discover? BACON! He wasn't joking. I turned to Connor the border collie and said, "Can you believe it?! Bacon!"
He couldn't believe it.
I shared a little bit of the bacon with him and we were both happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I thought that his phone number was going to be on the sandwich paper but I guess surprise bacon is a close second if romance is not in the air. (I always felt that calories don't count if they are not ordered.)
Post a Comment