Wednesday, January 16, 2008

ECON101

I've just started my macroeconomics class at UNC Asheville. On the first day of class (after getting my student id card and being blown away by the $140 softcover textbook that we need to buy for the class), I really had to focus on being present.

The professor started class by asking each student, "And, what is your major?" (maybe I just imagined that over-emphasized "h" in "what...") as he took attendance. As the freshmen Claires and Calvins droned, "business" or "accounting," I considered what (or what) I would say.

I decided to follow the lead of the other non-typical student. This man, who sat in the front of the class, must have been at least 70 years old. When the professor called on him, however, he said, "Undecided" like some of the 18 year old Joeys who were wearing UNCA sweatpants.

What the hell? Was he serious or taking a piss out of the professor? I considered the sarcasm and coolness factor of this guy and decided that he was serious. Which was even funnier. As Alyssa said, "Geez man, if you haven't decided by now..."

Finally, it was my turn. I said, "I'm a non-degree seeking student" (using my registration classification for the terminology). He asked me to explain my intentions with this class and I replied that I was considering going to graduate school for business. He replied something like, "Ah, yes."

As the professor began talking about markets and rhetoric, I found my mind wandering to thoughts about these Transformers Reebox sneakers that I saw in ID Magazine and how I need to be more assertive in TAASC meetings. I felt like my brain and intention (ah yes, for an MBA someday) was meditating on his words-- to take good notes and understand this new discipline-- while my mind, eyes, breath, and kidneys were working on thinking about style, bluebirds, rock climbing, and iced tea. At one point, I had to consciously refoucus these truant thoughts.

I could tell by his ability to quote philosophers and economists in every other sentence that this professor is smart. At times I felt tempted to ask him how to spell the words he was saying so that I could look them up when I got home. Because I was so out of my element, I thought about bringing some of my academic expertise into the classroom.

I was thinking about breaking out a little, "Whan that Aprill with hise shoures soote... " since I had to memorize it for a Chaucer class in college. And I don't even have that memorized that well; I had to call Alyssa tonight to ask her how to spell that Middle English. Luckily, she keeps her Canterbury Tales near the telephone. (By the way, I wasn't surprised that Alyssa had it right there since she, according to Professor Narin Van Court, "had one of the best Middle English accents" that she's ever heard... I think Lyssie might start a roundtable Chaucer reading club and call it Speculum Vitae II.)

I only considered, "The droghte of March hath perced to the roote/And bathed every veyne in swich licour/Of which vertu engendred is the flour..." for a minute since I didn't know how to link this Prologue into the professor's stories of the Industrial Revolution and Marxism... maybe I can write something called "The ECON101 Professor's Tale" in Middle English about utility, demand, and unemployment. I'll need Lyssie's help for the translation.

After reading an article for homework, I think I am starting to understand how to weave storytelling into economics. It's what Ben Bernanke does, right?


*One more note: in order to learn "business smarts" experientially (thanks, Outward Bound!), I'm slacking a bit academically. You see, I've only done half of my homework assignment that is due tomorrow because I found the same $140 textbook online for $69.82 plus shipping and handling. Right now I'm waiting for that shipping and handling charge to pay off.

2 comments:

Tiny Tin Bird said...

You just let me know. My rate is going up for freelance, but I'll give you special deal.

Sally said...

I was laughing so hard at this post. This is how I have felt about most of my "educational" experiences in the last oh, let's say 10 years. If you do happen to write ANYTHING in middle English, I want a copy.