Thursday, January 10, 2008

Freedom Writers. Freedom Watching (bad movies).

The other day, my mom told me how she was watching Freedom Writers on tv (most likely while folding laundry or going through months worth of newspapers that she hasn't had time to read...).

Supposedly, Dad watched it for a minute and commented about how histrionic it was. I had to laugh when I heard this because I got sucked into watching it while staying at a friend's house. I pretended like I was doing other things and too busy to watch, but then I'd always cycle back to ask for an update. I used to do this all of the time when my sister would watch movies like Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. She'd ask, "Katie, why don't you just watch it?" And then I'd pretend that I was above it.

To quell this pattern of snobbery, when my friend asked, "Katie, why don't you just watch Freedom Writers with me?" I answered, "Okay, but just for a minute." He snapped this photo of me 45 minutes later:
I think my picture explains how I wasn't really into that movie at all... just walking by the room on my way to read some Milton...

Although it doesn't make my top movies of the century, it was mildly entertaining. Actually, when I walk by little cubbie holes in Asheville, I wonder if some at-risk teenager is writing in a notebook in there. There aren't that many little cubbies that I've found, though.

I wonder if my mom could catch my brilliant dad with an expression like that one while watching Save the Last Dance or The First Wives Club. It's good to put your brow a little lower at times. But, as my good friend from college pointed out, a little snobbery is important in life. It's like getting the best icing on your cinnamon roll.

3 comments:

Kev McGinn said...

what have you gotten me into KatherINE.

Tiny Tin Bird said...

I can't believe you Katie. Watching Freedom Writers. We didn't go to an almost-ivy tier school with a ridiculously worthless mascot to mush our brains like that.

Drumline, girl, Drumline! That's where it's at!

KD said...

I know, I know. What would Cedric Bryant think?