Thursday, January 17, 2008

Go Bull Dogs!

Since being at the University of Arkansas, my pal Brain has really embraced the Razorback culture. He can quote stats and talk about the football coach for many minutes. He even met someone named (from birth) Ray. Middle name: Zorback. Put it together and you'll see that their fans are a little bit more hog-wild than our polite Colby White Mule fans. This logo (below) is actually a little tougher than the one that was presented when I was in college. I tried to find the older logos that was a cartoon of a horse-type animal with a big head and little body. Its eyes were huge as if opened in fear, pleading, "Please don't hurt me." They were kind and sad eyes.



Since being a new student at UNC Asheville with my 3 credit hours, I think I'm going to follow my friend's lead and embrace our little UNCA Bulldogs.

I'm only going to wear blue and white on the day of the "big game." Who knows if that big game is football or gymnastics or basketball. Hey, UNC-Chapel Hill is pretty good at basketball, right? I think that the sports fans don't actually call it "UNC Chapel Hill," though, I think they just call it "Carolina." Right? So is UNCA called "Carolina: Westside?"

There's so much to learn! I'm going to the bookstore to buy some drink cozies, little pom-poms and a stadium seat. GO TEAM!
.....
Actually, I think I need to reconsider this for a moment. My hesitation lies not in a lack of school spirit (I just thought of this cheer, "We're more than OK.. we're UNCA!"), but in the hyper-macho way that the bulldog looks.
I know that it's silly to put so much thought into the logo, but I love that branding stuff. I love clever packaging designs, posters, and book jackets. I do judge (and buy) books by their covers.
I used to read Adbusters for its anti-consumption stance, but then I discovered that I like it more for its artistic design. I like clever design, regardless of whether its intended to make me buy a belief or buy a burrito.
So when I started to look up these logos, I started to notice things like the little drip coming out of the Razorback's nose as if it were exhaling so violently that it spewed spit. Notice the eyes on the three logos on this page. I would describe them in this order: 1. scary and agressive 2. intelligent and discerning 3. insane and macho. I don't like those mean mascots. I'd rather have the confident and calm one like our sinewy mule.
Now, I know I'm not a competitive athlete (someone has to come in last place, right?), so maybe I'm missing something about how these mascots inspire the Venus Williams of the world. For all of you athletes out there... any thoughts? Maybe I'll go buy a REAL bulldog to inspire my school spirit.
Until then, I think I'll look into the Student Government Club.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't know kd. that bulldog could just as easily be smiling ear to ear with glee.
heehee.

The Roomdog said...

I feel as if I am keeping in touch just by reading your blog. Also been reading your friend tinytinbirds blog, I too am addicted. You have inspired me. Check out mine. I dont write like you and your wee birdy lassie but it is helping me vent since Carrie went home. Keep missing you in NJ, would love to catch up kid.