One of them gasped, "You mean we get to bring power tools?"
I think I replied something like, "We can do that when we go on trips with the Morganton kids."
(I'm trying to get them to like those other kids before we even meet, obviously to prevent gang wars between Asheville and Morganton.)
**Sidenote that will hopefully make sense a bit later: Pato means duck in Spanish. When I was studying in Venezuela, my nine-year old host sister made me some pictures of different animals. I think she thought that I needed all of the help I could get. Below is the pato picture. She put a pata (girl duck) on there, too. She signed the top, Alice Rojas, but it's a bit hard to see.
I think conejo, which means rabbit, could also be a bad word if you call someone it. I don't know if pato is also a bad word, but I think it should mean something like wimp or wuss.***If so, when those sweet TAASC kids asked about the power tools (or when they complain about minor discomfort), I'd add, "Don't be such patos! What will the Morganton kids think?" A little cool kid peer pressure is great. I read it in some education textbook somewhere.
Later in that meeting, we started watching Touching the Void. As we were talking about crampons, ice axes, and summiting "alpine style" throughout the movie, I asked some of them if they'd like to do a mountaineering trip. They replied, "Do you see how cold that is?!" As if to say, "Why would we do that when we can sit here and watch a movie about it?" Ahh, the fine art of armchair mountaineering. Be careful of the altitude sickness, patos.
This movie is rated R for the language. Don't worry, parents, I sat with my hand on the mute buttom for when one of the climbers falls and his leg snaps. He drops the f-bomb a lot. But really, parents, would you be screaming, "Dang! Ouch!" if the bottom part of your leg rammed up into the top part?
When the kids saw the rating, one of them asked, "Are you allowed to show us this?"
I replied, "Whateva, I do what I want." As long as they don't tell their folks about it...
I'm a pato, too.
Here are some more of my host sister's pictures. The conejo isn't the bad conejo. Sapo, which means toad, is on the same picture with the girl and boy frogs. I think sapo should mean sucker... like someone who is easily duped. She even drew the sapo to look like a sucka. These are all rated G:


No comments:
Post a Comment