I always thought that a hippo should be my power animal. I didn't think it really fit because it's weird to think that I am guided by something that looks sweet (at least in the cartoons), but is really a violent, brutal, wild thing. It wasn't the best inspiration during runs (or really anything else), but I couldn't decide on another animal... so hippo it was.
But two recent experiences with hawks might sway me to this medium sized-bird of prey.
The first was in New Jersey over Christmas. We were all lounging around (read: Katie, Mom, Sister watching tv) when Dad (who was probably rewiring the house or something productive like that) said, "Come here and check this out!" Below the bird feeder, a hawk was promenading around like she was in a square dance without a partner. She was scoping out the chipmunks and sparrows who also hang out around said feeder. If the wall weren't there, I could have tossed a stone and hit it. (Not that I was going to throw rocks at the bird, but I'm not that good of a shot so it shows how close she was...). I think I said, "Wowie."
The second incident happened the other day at UNCA. I was walking along the quad (that's what we co-eds do: walk around the quad to class) when a brownish and whitish hawk flew directly at me at eye level. I stopped. It continued. I didn't flinch and it soared up past my left shoulder and landed on a branch by my side. I looked at it and thought, "Wowie!"
I didn't want to say it this time because there were 18 and 19 year olds around wearing rad clothes like tight black jeans and little leather jackets. I think one of them had a Euro-mullet. As I watched the bird, the people blurred out-of-focus in my periphery. The hawk and I locked eyes and had a moment together until I had to go to class. I thought about yelling, "Nous rencontrerons encore un jour mon cheri!"* But I didn't. (See above for explanation... also, by the way, I was wearing my pea coat with a little Outward Bound Blue Peter pin on the label. Preppy 27 year old dweeb yelling in French to a tree?)
I have thought about that hawk for the last couple of days.
While I'm not trying to read too much into it, I think that coincidences are strange and important to recognize. Pay attention. Wake up. My everyday drama is not the world.
.....................................
*(By the way, that means, "We'll meet again someday, my dear!" I knew how to say "we will meet a day my dear," but had to look up the phrase to get the right verb tense and remember how to say "again." Credit goes to the internet: http://ets.freetranslation.com/, not my high school French classes.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I will simply say...you have a sally/Stacy connection to French. We/she will ALWAYS be willing to act as "traductrice." Such as she/ we can. By the way, Lumpy/Jody is making popcorn for me right now. I love that man.
Another by the way, Guinness and I saw an eagle around the lake this summer. We were both stunned into silence and a crowd actually formed. I do not always love living in MN, but I was impressed by the crowd of people who believe in signs/eagles/the other who stopped to admire the wonder of nature. It was beautiful.
kd, keep your eyes peeled. if this the creature, she will pop-up more & more. we should go up to the parkway & watch them soar in the spring.
i can't wait, roomie!
Post a Comment