Monday, April 21, 2008

Adventure

When I walked into Jubilee (the hippie dippie "church" I like to go to when I'm in town) on Sunday, the band was playing the song to Indiana Jones.

The theme was adventure. The message was basically that you need to take risks and not be afraid to fail. If you associate adventure with only being the work of superheroes, astronauts, wilderness firefighters, and folks like Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay or Indiana Jones then it's easy to feel inspired, but then close the book or stop the movie and still have your own battles to fight and mountains to summit. It's easy to keep the fear at an armlength away.

He quoted Helen Keller, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Blind, deaf, mute adventurer.

Ironically, I went to a 6am-9am yoga class at Namaste before that Jubilee service and one of the stories the teacher told was about a yogi who was attacked by wolves and had his arms and legs ripped off. He survived, but was in despair because he didn't know how he could practice yoga anymore. Another yogi told him to do the movements, but in his mind; he became so in tune with it, that he could almost beam this energy into people who studyed with him. It showed the power of energy and mind.

It's like when you are paddling in whitewater... where you look on the river is where you go. If you look at the rock, then you are going to hit it. (Or, if you aren't so great at your paddle strokes... which is another vote for actually preparing for adventure through practice and work combined with positive thought)

Obviously there is action needed in "showing up" for these goals and dreams. I need to remember that it's not only my intention that will get me to those goals. Otherwise, it'd be like some new agey kind of wishful thinking.

I think that I need to practice the sense of adventure that I usually only bring to the wilderness courses that I lead. What adventures have I been avoiding? What adventures have others avoided?

No comments: