While visiting stupidmommy et al (see one post below), she asked how my blog got its name 12:52. Just like explaining my Outward Bound name, Cowgirl, I didn't have a great story to tell Deb about the name of my post. Feeling stupid, I muttered, "Uh, it's the time in the afternoon when I started my post... back in 2006." I was never clever at thinking of band names, either.
I posted about three blogs in that year and then didn't pick it up again until late last year with the support of Alyssa. (In 2006, she wasn't me emailing in caps, "WHERE'S TODAY'S POST?" like she does these days.) Because it's 12am and I have to go to work in a few hours, I thought it'd be the perfect time to see if there was a witty story associated with 12:52.
I looked back to those first few posts and didn't find any witty stories about 12:52pm. However, I had a post about some kids visiting my West Asheville house on a rainy Saturday. It brought back a great memory. I realize that I wouldn't do "three strikes" anymore, but would try Love and Logic. Here a couple of the first posts that I just re-read:
Day One 12:52
I'm on my way out to get Man and The Twins. Raining with tornados in the air.
Saturday Visit
Man and the Twins are students from my after-school program. The fourth-grader has a real name, but his family calls him “Man.” I prefer to call him T-Bone. The twins, who are in kindergarten, also have individual names for their individual personalities, but their family dubs them “Twins.” Singularly, each is called “Twin.” For instance, I heard a neighbor yell at one of them, “Twin, quit messing with my dog!” I wonder if the boys’ sisters will be called “Girl” and “Baby Girl.”
On a rainy Saturday, they walked with me across the highway overpass from their house to mine. I grasped the twins’ hands as tightly as they grasped brown-bagged lunches. While I was alerting the twins to the bocce-ball-sized dog poop in front of the defunct Mexican restaurant, T-Bone shouted, “Twin! You’re losing your lunch.” He looked down at his ripped bag, and we turned to see a Ziplock of Oreos and sealed cup of applesauce spaced down the sidewalk like Hansel and Gretel’s crumbs.
When we arrived at my house, they ate bologna on white, cookies, and applesauce. The twin whose lunch was scattered on the sidewalk realized that his Capri Sun was missing. “It’s okay,” I told him as I looked in the refrigerator, “we have milk… uh, water…”
I saw the old bottle of pineapple juice and offered him a glass.
“Apple?” he asked hopefully.
“No. This is pineapple. You might want to try a little bit to see if you like it.”
He liked it. The boys sat at the table and ate until they were hyper. My planned afternoon of baking cookies, watching a movie, and making popcorn changed as they hurtled over the couch and threw my books at each other. I lost my calm arrogance and turned into some poor dupe on Nanny 911.
I took a breath and turned to the one jumping over the couch, “That’s strike one for you.” He looked at me with wide eyes, not believing that I would use the after-school lingo of three strikes and a time-out on this special weekend visit.
Not missing a beat, however, he went into his usual teary melodrama, “Just one more chance, please. Just one more chance,” before I suggested we all go outside and play a game. The “game” started with sprinting races across my narrow, ten-foot lawn.
Next, I suggested we have a jumping jack competition. After a few pushups, T-Bone was onto my ploy and asked if I had a football.
Nope.
Frisbee? Broken.
A weight-lifting bench? In fact we do have a weight machine in the dirt-floor basement.
After they bashed the weights for an hour, T-Bone asked if we could have a scavenger hunt. I thought about my idea of a scavenger hunt and said, “Well, I haven’t made clues and our yard is so small…”
“You can just hide something and we have to find it.”
Obviously.
T-Bone suggested candy or chocolate.
All I could find was a box of garlic Triskets. Each time they found the treasure, they’d get one Trisket each. After discovering the garlic crackers in places like the mailbox, the woodpile, and the back of a pickup truck, the twins decided to hide them for T-Bone and me to find. We searched for forty-minutes before they unearthed the bag from a flowerpot which was full of dirt.
I didn’t want a prize Trisket after that.
On the way home, I suggested we stop at Family Dollar to get a wiffle-ball set. Only one of them had a temper tandrum and sprawled himself on the floor when I wouldn’t buy Batman toys.
His mood changed when he found his missing Capri Sun (straw and all) on the sidewalk.
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
hey katie, i was looking through my old emails for some data (yes, i have a highly organized system) and i came across your email about your blog, so i began to read... and since i'm looking for anything to do other than finish my dissertation, i'd to like to request that you post mutiple times per day, maybe 5-10? i need entertainment. hope you're doing well!
I forgot to mention that when I first saw the title, I briefly assumed it was a reference to some Biblical passage--because, after all, we are in the South, where everybody's got their favorite bit of scripture. But only very briefly.
Post a Comment