Friday, April 25, 2008

Bon Voyage

Our friend, who is a nurse, is going to the eastern part of Congo on Sunday to work for Doctors Without Borders for six or more months. It's a tense situation over there; Beth told me that she read on the BBC online that the UN just pulled its aid workers out because it's so bad. And our friend is going there.

She's pretty tough, though. This woman flies to do volunteer in Central America almost every month, it seems like. When we did a 24 hour Run for Africa relay (in which we took shifts to run each 5 mile loop... most of us did about 15-20 miles), she went home and did another run to get more of a workout. It's common for her to run marathons training.

At her bon voyage gathering tonight, someone asked her what she expected. Her answer, "I don't really know what it will be like. There are a lot of really interesting diseases over there." (Excitement at that prospect, I guess... like a travel guide pointing out the amenities.)

G had a quick reply, "Yeah, I guess the most common diseases in the US are entitlement and apathy."

1 comment:

Sally said...

Wish her luck for me. I was teaching French I community ed class recently, and a woman who was married to a Congolese man dropped out because of all the trouble and worry about family, etc. I wish the best for your friend.